Wednesday 25 March 2020

Speed Kills

I know full well that these days I am out of the loop and not up to date on most modern bands. And I am ok with that. I generally pick up on newer bands when I hear a buzz about them, rather than check out every single new band as soon as they come out. But this generally means that I miss out on records by bands that I do eventually get into. Today I am featuring the latest example of this - the debut LP from a band called Chubby And The Gang called 'Speed Kills'.

I saw a lot of people posting this record (with its unmistakable awful cover) so I decided to check it out. This isn't my usual cup of tea, but I listened to this with an open mind to figure out what the fuss was about, and it was immediately obvious - it's catchy as hell. This band plays 70s style punk rock and it's bursting with energy. All in all it's just a fun listen.

There were a few copies on blue vinyl which sold out back when this originally dropped, and the rest of the first press was on black. I don't know how many were made, but the first press must have gone quick, because a second press on red vinyl appeared around the time that I became aware of this record. So I figured that would be fine.

The singer of this band ('Chubby') was in Violent Reaction, and some other bands that I've never really checked out. But looking at these mugshots really makes me feel old. These kids are young. Which is even more impressive that they've managed to channel a sound so well from a time before any of them were born.

I know it's relatively early to say this, but I think that this could be the soundtrack for Summer. Unless I play it too much before then and wear it out of course (which is something I often do).

2 comments:

Hopper said...

Glad you finally picked this up!

Anonymous said...

Misread the poster as "It's the big boys with the big nose"!
Tho give it a listen, good stuff!