Saturday 28 March 2020

Choke

Recently I was flipping through my 7"s and I realised something that blew my mind. Somehow I was missing a Revelation release that I never actually knew I was missing! I mean, don't get me wrong, my Rev collection is far from complete, but I at least know what I don't have. So when the penny dropped that I was missing one, and had been missing it for probably something like 17 or 18 years, I was kinda shocked.

Fortunately, the record in question isn't one that costs too much when it pops up for sale. And when I looked, there were 4 for sale on discogs. I was going to buy one when a friend mentioned that he had a spare, which he generously gave me.

The record in question is this 'final pressing' copy of the second Kiss It Goodbye 7", 'Choke'. There were 330 pressed on orange vinyl. I'm not exactly sure when this came out, but most of the so called 'final' pressings came out circa 2001-02 I think. This was at a time when it really did appear that vinyl was dying a death, and Rev probably genuinely thought at the time that they would literally never press any more copies of most of their more popular releases on vinyl again.

I'm still slightly baffled as to how I could have missed this and only just realised all these years later. The only explanation I can come up with is that it may be because Rev released two Kiss It Goodbye 7"s, and both had final pressings made on similar colors of vinyl at around the same time. I guess I must have seen this one listed for sale and assumed I already had it, as I did have the final press of the other 7" on gold vinyl. Truth be told, I always get confused with these two 7"s about which is which, and which came out first.

I'm really grateful for this one, and glad to have acquired one so easily after the initial panic and confusion. Finally my final press collection is complete... or at least, I think it is.

1 comment:

geoff said...

being stuck at home and getting to read these is wonderful. thank you posting them up. if i could, i would pay you with a bog roll.