Monday 28 October 2019

Title Fight Blues

Today's post is a story about confusion, forgetfulness, good friends and good fortune all coming together. It's quite interesting, if you can be bothered to read it...

So Title Fight released a 7" called 'Spring Songs' on Revelation back in 2013 (I seriously cannot believe it was six years ago!!!). It initially came out on two different orange vinyl variants. Then a year or so later, it got repressed on blue vinyl. Now, this was around the time that I lost a bunch of records in the mail and then gave up with Revelation's endless colour repress game. So I missed out on the blue vinyl completely. But earlier this year, following on from my visit to RevHQ last summer, I got the Rev bug again and decided that I wanted to fill in some of the holes I had missed over the past three years. So I picked up a few bits, including a blue vinyl Title Fight 7". It looks like this:

I bought this copy in about March this year from RevHQ. It comes with a green paper insert (the relevance of which will become apparent shortly).

Well anyway, recently I was tidying some records up off the floor, and I went to put this 7" in a box... at which point I discovered that I did actually have a blue vinyl copy of this 7" in my collection after all. I have absolutely zero memory of buying it, although I did manage to find it on this blog post. According to the Rev discography, 2014 was the date of the first time that this was pressed on blue vinyl, so I am assuming that this copy I picked up and forgot about is from the first blue vinyl pressing. It comes with a pink paper insert. So at this point I had two blue vinyl copies, shown together in this photo:

I also knew that there had been other pressings on blue vinyl, although I had no idea how many, nor how many were different colour variants. There seemed to have been so many that I had lost track (and interest). But all of a sudden I had a strange desire to try to collect the set, which meant that I needed to try to figure it all out.

Then I had a stroke of good fortune. I can't remember how the subject came up, but Nico mentioned that he had some doubles, and agreed to send them to me. We didn't even try o work out which ones I had and which I needed. He just sent me a parcel, and inside were three different 7"s. He was also good enough to label them, so I knew which order they were pressed in. All three have a pink insert. Here they are in order:

By total coincidence, none of these three matched the two I already had. One was a close vinyl colour, but it had a different colour insert, which showed that it was a different pressing. So all of a sudden I had 5 different versions, and 5 different shades of blue. Nico has been monitoring the pressings of this record much more closely than I, and he tells me that I have a complete set. If this is the case then I am pretty happy, as it could have taken much longer to figure out what I was missing and then track them down.

To finish, here's a couple of photos showing all five copies together...

This first photo shows the three that Nico sent me on the top row, with the two I already had on the bottom:

And finally, this photo shows all 5 variants in the order that they were pressed... or at least, I think it does, although I may have got confused as this isn't exactly easy to keep track of.

The Rev discography now says that this has been repressed on red vinyl, so I'll probably be adding another copy to my box at some point.

1 comment:

Nico said...

So awesome seeing them together! Now keep up, I won't bail you out again. ;)