Tuesday 29 October 2019

A Game That No One Wins

When I picked up the Stages Of Faith LP a couple of weeks ago, I also picked up the debut full length by another UK band at the same time. The band is called GAME and the album is called 'No One Wins'.

Even though it was released by Quality Control HQ, I opted to buy the US pressing which is on Beach Impediment Records. The UK pressing is on red vinyl, which undoubtedly suits the artwork better. But the US white vinyl is more limited. So I went with the limited pressing rather than the one which looks best. I think this is just the way that I have learnt to play the game. It's about buying what is available while you have the chance, rather than buying what you want, right?

Game features Ola on vocals. She owns / runs Quality Control HQ and is also plays guitar in Arms Race. She's Polish, and half of these songs are sung in her native tongue, which somehow makes them sound heavier and crazier, if impossible to sing along to.

My opinion of this one has been a bit up and down. I played a song online and loved it, but then when the record turned up I played it and thought it was too 'noisy' and it was too much. But then I put it on in the gym and it seemed like the perfect soundtrack. Overall it's fast, noisy, hectic and angry hardcore punk which, if anything, sounds to me like Japanese stuff. I bet this band smokes live. Hopefully I will somehow get to see them at some point.

No comments: