Thursday 5 September 2019

One Great Test

So a couple of months ago I picked up a Dag Nasty test press and wrote this:

It's not too often the opportunity arises to pick up a Revelation Records test press... when a chance arises to pick one up, it's tough to say no.

Little could I have know that the near future would bring more opportunities that I could not say no to. But it did, and I couldn't. So here is the first example of my recent good luck - a test pressing of the Burn 'Last Great Sea' 7":

It's actually very rare for a Rev test press to come in anything other than a plain white paper sleeve. But this one has a custom made sleeve which is basically a photocopy of the regular cover art, but with a bunch of small stars added. It looks pretty rad.

At one point in time a few years ago this would probably have been highly desirable and I'm sure that it would have sold for a lot of money. I'm not sure that would still be the case as the band's reformation and LP that was released a couple of years ago ('Do Or Die') seems to have soiled their past and their reputation, for some people at least. I guess that's the risk you take when deciding to reform after a long time. You either play the same old songs and milk it for the money, or you write new songs. Both approaches can backfire. But for me, I respect a band more for coming back and trying something new. And I genuinely think that Burn did a good job. But I see that a lot of people think it was a bad mistake. So I would guess that demand for their records, and the values, have subsequently reduced. Not that this really matters. Either way though, this 7" is still mindblowingly good. I remember how stoked I was to hear this when it came out back in 2002, and I'm still almost as stoked every time I play it all these years later.

So of course, after picking up the test press it seemed only fitting that I pick up the latest colour vinyl repress of it too. I almost lose track of how many colours of this there are these days, but I know for sure I didn't have this as I gave up on the Rev represses a couple of years ago (ahem).

Normally I'd pull out all my copies of a 7" and take a group shot for fun, but I seriously don't have time for that right now. Sorry kids. But you'll have seen the set on instagram before I'm sure.

3 comments:

geoff said...

the one photo that has not been seen (ever) is the test with all of the colors. IG post time.

mcs said...

You'll have to do it though, geoff, as I don't have the black vinyl.

Nico said...

Amazing that test. :)