Monday 16 September 2019

God Fodder

Back when I was about 15 or 16, a bunch of my friends at school were into the current indie bands of the day, absolutely none of which interested me in any way. However, as time has marched on, I have ended up listening to some of these bands and I have learnt to enjoy many of them on some level. For one reason or another, about a year ago something made me check out Neds Atomic Dustbin, a UK band that that made quite an impression in the States back in the day. I downloaded their debut LP 'God Fodder' and was surprised at how many of the songs I already knew, mainly from hearing my friends listening to them back in 1991/92. The memory is an amazing thing at times.

I ended up finding myself going back to this record quite regularly when I wanted something that wasn't hardcore, and eventually I realised that I fancied buying a copy. Of course, back when I was young this record would have been available in every record shop in the country, but many years later when I finally want one it has become hard to find and relatively pricey. And then a reissue appeared on colour vinyl. But I had decided that I wanted an original. So I waited.

Eventually a copy appeared on ebay Uk. For whatever reason, this one copy didn't seem to increase in price too much. Sometimes some copies of sought after records seem to get missed by other people for some reason, and it felt like this was happening here. So I added it to the watch list and ended up winning it for less than a third of what this record usually sells for. Bargain.

This copy arrived with a couple of seam splits in the inner sleeve, but for the price I paid I wasn't overly fussed.

It wouldn't surprise me if regular readers of this weren't familiar with the band. But if anyone is remotely curious and wonders what they sound like then I thought I'd link in a video on youtube of 'Grey Cell Green'. If you're not into it then that's absolutely fine, but you have to admit - they don't make bands like this these days.

6 comments:

geoff said...

this is one of those bands that i havent listened to in decades. that just changed as of two seconds ago. thanks marcus.

Nico said...

I know the artwork oddly enough, don't think I ever listened to this. Sounds like a more commercial sounding version of Ride.

mcs said...

I'm not sure about 'commercial' sounding exactly. Perhaps just a little more 'punk'?

Nico said...

Let me rephrase that: Sounds like a little less shoegaze version of Ride with a bit more compact song structures.

mcs said...

Possibly. Or it sounds like Ride but with a bit more 'punk' :o)

Alex Rogan said...

Love this band! I used to have the single of Kill You Television. On the B side was a version of Cut Up with strings. I need to see if that's floating around out there or on YouTube.