Wednesday 28 August 2019

Stikky

I'm almost at the end of this haul of stuff that I picked up from a reader of this thing. Only two more items left to feature...

I used to be quite into the Gilman Street / Lookout! Records type stuff back in the early 90s. There were a couple of compilations ('Can Of Pork' and 'Very Small World') that my friends and I played a lot and used to explore about a million bands between them, and I loved them all. At the time, picking up records by some of them was hard, but as the internet opened for business I found myself going back to these compilations and picking up records by some of the bands over the years.

I was never a big fan of 'power-violence' (or whatever other words were used to describe the fast, thrashy bands of the mid to late 90s that seemed to have a sense of humour at the forefront of whatever they did). I think I liked the concept of these bands more than the bands themselves. Anyway, Stikky were a kind of early version of these kinds of bands. So when I saw a 7" for sale on the list at a reasonable price I decided to grab it.

The colour of the record hasn't come out quite as it is in real life, as the vinyl is a very pale green, almost exactly the same as mint ice cream. You will see what I mean about the sense of humour factor from the song titles:

I actually already owned a copy of this 7", and the different vinyl colour and cover was enough to decide to pick up a second copy. Here are the two side by side:

With the gift of hindsight, I'm not really sure that picking up a second copy of this was a great move. I mean, it's a fun record, but wouldn't even make it into my top 500 records. I think sometimes the opportunity to pick something up overtakes the desire to actually own it. So if anyone would like one of these two, please hit me up, as I feel I can live without one.

No comments: