Wednesday 24 July 2019

Ten Spot At Denko's

I'm trying to avoid buying represses and reissues as far as possible these days, but some I still can't seem to ignore. A few months ago Dischord repressed a couple of classics and I couldn't resist adding them to the collection.

'Wig Out At Denko's' is Dag Nasty's second album and one which will always split opinion. Some people think this is their best record, others will say it's the first album 'Can I Say'. It doesn't really matter. Both are great. The thing that both have in common is that they were both pressed on black vinyl only until about 2008 or so, when both were repressed on colour vinyl. I'm not sure how many of each colour were made, but they seem relatively hard to come by these days. The thing I didn't like, however, is that those represses were on euro vinyl and the sleeves were made of super flimsy card. So a decade later it doesn't seem unreasonable that this record has been repressed again, on a better quality vinyl and with a proper sleeve.

Again, I have no idea how many were made, but it feels that not many people have picked it up as it is still available from Dischord and has been up for sale for at least 7 months.

The second record I added to my cart was the reissue of the first Shudder To Think LP, 'Ten Spot'. This one has been remastered and comes in a completely redesigned sleeve with different artwork, and is also on blue vinyl.

I seriously love Shudder To Think and have done for many years, but this reissue is a little disappointing. I'm not a huge fan of the new artwork, as it just feels a little boring, and there's not really much else of interest going on either. I can't really imagine that anyone who isn't overly familiar with the band would look at this record and have their curiosity peaked. Definitely one that would be flipped past in the racks. I guess it just feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity, which is a shame as this record SOUNDS great.

No comments: