Sunday 23 June 2019

California Son

There seems to have been a lot of controversy around Morrissey lately. I only really know of this because of stuff popping up on my facebook feed. It follows pretty much the same format as always, with some people slagging him off and other people defending him. I don't really pay attention to this stuff, because I've seen and heard it too much over the past fifteen years or so. But when a new record was announced my first thought was 'it feels like there was one released only a few months ago'.

This new one is a covers album. I wasn't actually intending to buy it. I downloaded it and made it through three songs before turning it off because I was bored. But then I found myself feeling tired and wanting to listen to something a little 'quieter', so I tried again... and really enjoyed it. And as often happens, I then found myself listening to it two or three times a day. So last week I decided to see if it was in the record shop that's about 5 minutes from my work during my lunchbreak.

Well, it turned out that they had two versions for sale - a black vinyl, and a 'limited' blue version for £1 more. So I paid up.

It's certainly a novelty for me to buy a record on my lunchbreak. It's a good job the shop is really poor else I'd probably be spending too much money there.

Anyway, I'm quite surprised that I have been enjoying this record so much. Could well be the soundtrack to Summer 2019...

No comments: