Sunday 28 April 2019

Winds Of Promise

The final record in my series of 2018 LP releases that I'm finally catching up with is the debut release from Winds Of Promise. This is a new version of an old band featuring a bunch of legendary SoCal scenesters - Joe Nelson (from Ignite & The Killing Flame), Joe D. Foster (from Unity & Ignite) & Pat Longrie (from Uniform Choice & Unity).

Apparently the band initially formed back in the mid 80s, and wrote songs (that ended up being used by Uniform Choice & No For An Answer), but didn't really get going. Fast forward a few years, and they decided to get back together and release a record via Unity Worldwide Records.

Interestingly, this record also has the Wishingwell Records logo on the back, and on the b-side label. However, I did notice that it doesn't have a WW catalogue number.

I will admit that I didn't really want to like this record for various reasons. I downloaded it and took a while to give it a spin. The first listen I thought that some of the lyrics were kinda corny. But then for whatever reason I tried again and it caught me in a better mood, and I kinda liked it. And now that the weather is getting better it seems that I am reaching for it more frequently. It sounds like a typical west coast band to me, and for some reason that kinda thing always seems better when the sun in shining. If this makes any sense whatsoever then I'm guessing you would probably dig this.

No comments: