Tuesday 2 April 2019

US East Coast Trip, Part 3 - Hold Fast Records

So after the first Into Another show, we had half a day in Asbury Park. It was a really interesting place. I'm told it is swarming with people in the Summer, but in March it was completely dead. Nobody on the streets and very few cars on the road. Almost a ghost town. But even in ghost towns in America, there are record shops. Approximately 15 minutes walk from our hotel was a shop called Hold Fast Records. So obviously we took the time to check it out.

Note the Rev logo inside the window to my left.

As was the case with most of the other shops I visited last summer, it seemed that the LP section wasn't great, but there were a few gems lurking in the 7" section. There was also a box of 7"s on the counter which were marked as 50% off, and inside I managed to find three 7" I thought I'd take away, for which I paid a total of $10.66. Bargain. In alphabetical order...

The first was an Atlas Shrugged 7" which I mainly picked for the cover. A fine Beyond rip off made for Japan. Presumably for a Japanese tour rather than the general Japanese populous, although who knows?

And I love how Snoop Dogg appears on the back for no discernable reason.

Next up, a true gem - a rare version of the Killing Flame 'The Dream Dies' 7" on Livewire Records. I've never seen this one before. This is a limited cover numbered out of 25 copies. The insert refers to it as the 'Jennifer Love Hewitt eBay special'.

I got this for $5, but it seems one copy sold on discogs last year for €40 (circa $50). So I guess I was pretty lucky.

And finally, an Integrity 7" I don't own. A standard issue black vinyl copy of the 'VVe Are The End' 7". It's not overly exciting to look at, but it was only $2 so worth grabbing.

So that was it. And with another successful trip to a US record shop complete, it was time to head back to NYC...

No comments: