Friday 26 April 2019

Sunstroke

Still focussing on 2018 releases that I'm late to picking up physical copies of, this next record is one that I started to notice because it started popping up all over the place. And whilst I am generally late to new bands these days, if I see several people I know and respect posting a record, at some point I am going to take notice. Such was the case with the Sunstroke 'Second Floor / Seven' 12".

After seeing two or three copies of this gold vinyl pressing, I started to take notice. I quickly found out that there are a lot of versions of this record, but after seeing several gold copies, I had it in my head that gold was the one I wanted. So that's the one I picked up. 88 copies exist.

So when I went to buy this, the label were also selling some rarities in their store. I had a quick look and spotted the test press for the Sunstroke 12". And you know how it is with me and test presses - I can't NOT buy one if it's dangled in front of me.

I like the simplicity of this cover. Oh, and also that it even bothers to have a cover at all. Makes a nice change for a test press. I also like the hand written labels, which gives it a more personal / DIY touch.

If you're even slower than me and haven't heard (or heard of) Sunstroke, comparisons have been drawn to Revolution Summer type bands, and rightly so. In particular, it reminds me of the the band Rain. If you're into this style, then this really is the record for you. And I have to say, it's great to see a band playing this style in 2018, and it's cool that people are into it. I just hope that the band continues and gives us more at some point as it would be disappointing to stop here.

2 comments:

Nico said...

That test press cover is a rip off of New Order - Substance

mcs said...

Thanks for that, Nico. I had no idea. It's clearly a really good rip off, but was totally wasted on me until you pointed that out!