Tuesday 30 April 2019

A Blank Bill

One of the cool things about record collecting is finding weird anomalies. The seller of the Mudhoney 7"s also told me that they had a Seaweed 'Bill' 7" with a blank label. I'd never heard of it, so it got me interested. I asked for a photo and was intrigued by what I got back, and instantly decided that I needed to buy it.

I was expecting the blank label to be plain white. But as you can see, the label is not technically blank. It's a standard Sub Pop label, complete with the pressing plant info, but without the text relating to the release itself. The word 'Bill' has then been stamped roughly where the word shold have appeared in the first place, although in text that is ten times bigger. It's kinda crappy but very cool at the same time. This pic shows a comparison with my regular copy:

Interestingly, John Pette's Seaweed discography makes no mention of this record, so it could be a pretty rare variant. Makes me wonder how many copies of this thing exist, although like so many records we will most likely never know.

And mainly because I'm getting back into the swing of this blog and taking photos, I cracked out the other two copies for an updated family photo. Always a good way to end a post.

No comments: