Sunday 13 November 2016

Sub Pop Dreams From The Hill

I got excited by some old Sub Pop releases on eBay UK last week. Some guy who has been collecting Sub Pop releases for years had decided to offload his LPs. There was an entire Mudhoney collection which went up and blew my mind, but it all sold immediately. So when the next round of stuff went up, I figured it would go, so got in quick.

Firstly, and most importantly, was one that I never thought I would own. Never. But when it appeared for sale within the UK, I just couldn't resist it. But before I show what it is, I need to give you a warning:

Kinda funny that in real life this warning sticker is next to the thing it is warning you about. It's an iconic LP, and one of my all time favourites. The Dwarves 'Blood, Guts And Pussy' LP on grey vinyl. Apparently there are only 112 of these things.

This LP also exists on pink vinyl, but that's even rarer still. I also never thought I'd own one of those, but hey... anything is possible I guess. Maybe one day...

Next is a a copy of Nirvana's 'Bleach' LP. This is some second or possibly third press copy on green marble vinyl. I've never owned a Sub Pop copy of this, and I've never been overly fussed, but this was one of those times where the colour of the vinyl itself just pulled me in. It's a pretty unique colour, and I found myself staring at it for a few days, which made me realise that I wanted it.

It's pretty scary how many different versions of 'Bleach' exist. Go to discogs and have a look. Compared to your average hardcore record (even including Turnstile!), it's insane.

The third record was significantly cheaper than the other two. This was the first 12" from Soundgarden, called 'Screaming Life EP'. I bought one of these last year but it arrived warped so I had to send it back. Cool to finally get another.

And finally, yet another copy of 'Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge' by Mudhoney. This is a kinda lame picture disc. The seller gave me this for free as I bought a few items from him. Even though I wouldn't have been too fussed about picking this up, it brings back fond memories for me. I used to own one of these years ago. It was one of the first 20 records I bought (from HMV in Southend on Sea!), although I sold my original copy years ago.

It's funny, but even though I sold a lot of my Sup Pop records years ago, I've been listening to a lot of the music from their early days again recently, and have a yearning to pick up some more records. Watch this space...

5 comments:

Jeff said...

Nice haul! I've always wanted an earlier colored pressing of Bleach. I've just been holding out for the "right" deal I suppose. I think I'd like to get a pink one but that green looks very nice. Perhaps the time has come to grab one...

Nico said...

That copy of Bleach looks great. I have a recent repress but seeing this, I kind of want to pick up a colored version too.

geoff said...

once you start collecting bleach 12"s, theres no going back. talk about endless!

Handsome Pete said...

These look great. Very jealous. I'm a long-time lover of all things Sub Pop. But somehow have never listened to The Dwarves. I really need to fix that.

Anonymous said...

Bleach is such a classic from my past, I only have a clear repress that I bought about ten years ago in a record shop in my city. Still one of the best titles. Looks like the Nirvana and the Soundgarden have been pressed at the same plant, they have the same pattern of swirls.