Sunday 6 March 2016

What Can I Say?

Finally kicking off the 2016 test press campaign, and I think I'm starting off with a pretty good one:

Dischord's 19th release came out in 1986. It made zero impact on me at the time because I was 11 years old and not really interested in music. But I think it's fair to say that it made a pretty big impact on the rest of the world. It would take me about 7 years after its release to get around to hearing it, after which I would never tire of it. There's not many records that you can listen to over a 20+ year period and not find boring or dated, but here we are thirty years later and it still sounds good to me.

When I saw this pop up for sale I wasn't sure where it would go, or whether I would make a serious play for it. I only really made my mind up near the end, and was actually surprised that I won it, as I would have expected it to sell for more. Maybe people were sleeping, or maybe this alum isn't as iconic as to other people as I think it is. Who knows?

Despite this coming only in a plain white paper sleeve, it's customary for me to snap a pic with the proper cover as it makes for a more interesting photo:

I've already bought a few tests so far this year, but not received them yet. I've picked up way more than the one per week average that I was aiming for a couple of years ago, so I'm thinking that maybe this year I could hit the target of 52 for the year. Time will tell I guess...

6 comments:

itallcomesdowntothis said...

Great score. And a true classic it is indeed.

Nico said...

Excellent score! Feels good knowing it ended up in good hands.

geoff said...

this is one of those records i grew up with. it was great from the start and i still enjoy listening to it often.

mark said...

there was a shop in london..hanway st.? in 1990 that seemed to sell all the dischord uk(or french) made tests wish i'd bought some now 8 quid each

Anonymous said...

Congratulations mcs on getting this. I hope there will still be records nowadays that get so enigmatic as this, although I doubt it. I know I will never own such things.

Anonymous said...

So this is the last one, I think. Byrd has one. Nico. Myself and now you. That should account for all 4, correct? Nice pick up! Makeshiftatomsmasher / Vinyls_is_not_a_word