Sunday 6 December 2015

No Friends

When I was younger, there was no internet, so to hear something you either had to own it yourself, or know someone else who did. Given that I didn't really have any friends into the same stuff as me, I didn't get to hear much without buying it for myself. So there were LOADS of (what are now considered) classic records that I did not hear for years. And even now there are still bands that I have never heard. But as I get older I like looking back in time and checking out bands that I wasn't interested in listening to before, so last year I made an effort to download some classic records that, for one reason or another, I had never got around to listening to. The pick of the bunch was definitely the Adolescents LP, so I decided that I wanted to buy a copy to make my collection look a little more respectable. The only dilemma was which copy to buy, as this record has been pressed quite a few times since it was first released back in 1981.

In the end I opted for the UK pressing on red vinyl. The original record came out on Frontier records, but the first pressing was black vinyl, and now costs a lot of money. This UK pressing, which came out in 1990 on Overground Records, was a pressing of 1,000 copies on red vinyl. For some reason I figured it would be more interesting to own this than some recent-ish colour vinyl Frontier pressing.

This is such a classic LP, with an iconic cover. Kinda funny that it has taken me this long to get around to hearing it, but that's exactly what I love about music generally - there's so much of it about that it is impossible to listen to all of it. No matter how old you are, there's always new music to discover, even if it's old music.

I'm glad I'm not trying to collect every variation of this record as there are seriously loads of them. You could, if you were so inclined, go straight to the Frontier Records store and pick up seven different colours right now. Add those to the nine extra colours that I spotted on google, and it would seem that there are nearly as many copies of this thing as the last Bane LP.

3 comments:

J@screamingforrecords said...

i never got round to listening to this record either until a year or so ago. Great record that I definately missed out on listening to years ago but like you say that's all part of the fun.

Mike said...

And here I was, thinking I was a loser for not bothering to check out this album until the 25th anniversary. You got me beat!

Damn...that red vinyl looks really nice!

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, the blue and red contrast is perfect for this. I like how the red lettering matches the vinyl perfectly...