Wednesday 21 January 2015

Tristessa

When I picked up the Soundgarden 'Room A Thousand Years Wide' 7", I also started thinking about what other Sub Pop releases I wanted that I didn't have. Not the BIG ones that would cost a small fortune, but just some of the releases that I used to want years back but thought were too expensive. One of them was the Smashing Pumpkins 7" on pink vinyl. And wouldn't you know it, I was able to go straight to discogs and grab one for what these days feels like a reasonable price.

I was never a huge Smashing Pumpkins fan back in the day, but I always wanted this 7". I always wanted to own the Sub Pop 7"s that were by the 'bigger' bands that weren't really on the label. Sub Pop used to get bands from other labels to do a 7" as part of their singles club. I picked up a few over the years, but this one always seemed too expensive to go after. But, as with a lot of the Sub Pop catalogue, the prices haven't moved in years. So it's now affordable.

Unfortunately this wasn't even on my wants list, so I can't cross it off. It was on the secondary wants list that exists only in my head... aong with loads of other stuff. One day I will get around to adding them to my actual real life wants list.

6 comments:

Mike said...

I have no interest in this band, but seeing the pink vinyl next to the cover looks really nice. Oh, and "secondary want list" made me laugh, since my list exists in my head for the most part.

massivewaste said...

I think that Smashing Pumpkins did a lot of good songs, and right, it´s cool that Subpop got those "bigger" (by means of ... success? sales figures?) bands for their singles club.

Nico said...

I am not a Subpop collector, but I find myself buying more and more over the years. I try not to look at Discogs too much, since there is so much to chose from.

Jeff said...

I love this record! I really appreciate your Subpop vinyl background. Very cool to see this as a recent acquisition.

mcs said...

I'm not really a Sub Pop collector either to be honest. But there's no denying that they had some great and now classic releases over the years.

Handsome Pete said...

I'll buy pretty much any Singles Club release I stumble on. I think it's because I regret not signing up all those years ago.