Wednesday 12 November 2014

Soul Power Test Plus Two

One record I have never owned on vinyl is the Neglect 'End It' 12". I've liked the band for a long time, but just never got around to picking up the 12". I guess there was less urgency as I've had the songs on my ipod for a few years. Anyway, this record was released by We Bite Records in Germany, but for some reason never got a US release. Not sure why. Also, I don't think there was any limited vinyl format, just black. So in the end all of these factors combined to give me a pretty cheap record which I have failed to own for far too long.

As I often do, I checked out the seller's other items, and found the German pressed GO! 12" 'Existence'. Whilst GO! are a long way from my favourite band, I've always had a soft spot for them. They once had a 12" released on First Strike Records (UK Label that released the Chain Of Strength second 7") and for that reason there always seemed to be a lot of GO! records floating around the UK back in the day along with the classic and more influential bands of the era.

When it came to checking out, I thought I knew the seller's name from somewhere. Given that he was selling mint, unplayed copies of the Lion Of Judah 'Soul Power plus 4' 12", I was pretty sure he was the guy who released it. So I asked if he had any spare tests laying about. A couple of emails later and I had agreed to buy one from him.

Picking up this test reminded me of when I saw this band play live in my old hometown. I really liked this band when the demo and first 7" were out, although it felt to me like a lot of other people into the other Lockin' Out bands didn't get LOJ. What I remember about the show I went to was that the singer dedicated one song to 'a woman's right to choose', to which I responded with a cry of 'Booooo!', much to some peoples' amusement. It's not that I disagree with the idea, it was more just that I wasn't in the mood for 90s style politics that night, plus it seemed like an opportunity for some comedy. Man, I miss heckling at shows.

2 comments:

Hop said...

Also at that show when you headwalked from the back of the room when ASA covered The Storm.

Mugsey said...

The Neglect record is my ultimate go-to record after a shitty day at work for sure Marcus.

'sup Graham. Hope you are well!!