Tuesday, 12 November 2013

Rev Mystery Box

Like many people out there, I got suckered by the Revelation mystery box recently. I wanted to avoid it and not play the game, but the tempatation of an exclusive 7” (coupled with the remote chance of winning a test press) proved too much and I paid in. In order to save 400 dollars on shipping, I had mine sent to a friend in the States. I then had a choice – I could either get him to forward it on to me unopened, so that I could have that ten second moment of excitement as I fumbled with the package to see if it contained a Burn test press, or I could get him to open it for me and tell me what was inside, to hopefully avoid having to pay to ship over a box full of junk. Well, the sensible part of me won over and I went with the latter option. I had my friend open the box and then email me to tell me that, as well as the exclusive Down To Nothing 7”, all I got sent was five CDs. I told him to throw the CDs in the bin and just send me the 7”. So here it is. A brand new 7” that I paid about $25 for… which has one exclusive song on it. It had better be the best song of all time for that price.

Ok, so it’s not that bad. I mean, I’m happy to have this as it’s DTN and it’s Rev. And even though I didn’t get lucky in the test press lottery, there was always a small chance that I COULD have. A couple of other dudes in Europe got some good stuff, so it's not like the whole thing was a con. So basically, what I’m saying in a roundabout way is that, even though I got a box of useless overpriced crap, I’d probably do it all again.

8 comments:

Mike said...

On an unrelated note, I really like the look of your pictures with the black background. I may have to steal this idea.

Across Your Face said...

I am still kicking myself for buying that rev mystery box. biggest piece of shit ever, never buying another mystery box again!

massivewaste said...

Well noted. Biggest piece of shit. Never again.

Mike said...

Does the mystery box suck? Yes.

Would I buy it again? Yes.

geoff said...

people waste more money going out for one crappy meal. i dont know why people are feeling so ripped off. makes me laugh.

mcs said...

Geoff - I don't think people feel ripped off. More they feel that the box didn't live up to their expectations. I think that was two-fold. Firstly, that most of the contents were crap. I received five CDs that clearly I would never have bought and Rev would never have sold. So that's $10 of my $15. But also, I think a lot of people felt let down by the DTN 7", mainly because it was in every way very similar to the DTN 7" that came out a few weeks before. I think most people thought the exclusive 7" would be a little more exclusive, if that makes sense. Ultimately though I agree with you to an extent - paying the money was a conscious choice, and essentially it was just like a lottery where everyone won, but the quality of the prizes varied.

bubblegum casting said...

great post cheers boss!

Handsome Pete said...

Would buy again. Crap CDs and all.

The Triple-B mystery box was much better, despite not getting anything super rare.