Sunday 17 November 2013

Magic Circle

Everyone's got the Magic Circle LP by now, or at least knows who's in it & what it is. I will openly admit that I was never a metal kid, but that doesn't mean I don't like anything from that range on the musical spectrum. I'm a big fan of the first six Black Sabbath LPs (never heard anything after that though), so when I read that Magic Circle was Sabbath styled doom from the current day Boston hardcore superstars, I was curious. I downloaded this back in about March this year and it was the soundtrack to painting my new kitchen... which took me about two weeks (doing section by section, rather than going insane by trying to do the whole thing in one go). The only problem was that (unsurprisingly) the record sold out stupidly fast & I missed out. Fortunately, the label decided to make some more. They announced it by saying 'Completely identical to the original pressing. There is no way to tell them apart, no colored vinyl, no limited editions. Just a killer record'. Even better. So I was finally able to grab one.

This is one of my favourite records of this year. I don't care about musical styles, but when I look back on 2013 this LP will be up there for sure. However, 'no limited editions' isn't what I wanted to hear, so when a test press appeared on eBay being sold by the singer, I figured I would make a play for it. And wouldn't you know it, I somehow won. So I did end up with a limited edition after all.

That's now 42 tests this year so far. I don't think I am going to make the 52 target to be honest, but it's going to be close as I already have a couple that are in the blog backlog.

No comments: