Wednesday 21 August 2013

We're Back!

I've not posted much on here lately. This has not been intentional. More just that I haven't actually received any new records for some time. Today, however, the floodgates opened and I received enough records to blog about for the next couple of weeks. Cool.

So where better to start that with the weirdest / most interesting Youth Of Today LP. This is the German Funhouse Records pressing of 'We're Not In This Alone', on yellow vinyl.

This is weird because it was the only YOT record released by Funhouse, which was a German label. Weird because all other YOT records were released in Germany by We Bite Records. In fact, this album was also released by We Bite Records. Two different German pressings? Really? And weird because of the layout. I mean, look at it...

The worst thing about this layout / package is the reverse of the lyric sheet. This is one of those printed dust sleeves. One side has the lyrics over a great live shot, whereas the reverse is this dumbass 'advert' for other records that Funhouse were selling at the time. Kinda whack... although, in some ways, a document of a time and place. So semi acceptable. Just would have been better as a separate insert rather than printed on the back of the lyric sheet.

Regan has some pretty good records, and a pretty good YOT collection, but he said recently that he had no interest in the European pressings of the LPs as he regards them as bootlegs. I can see his point as I used to feel the same. I thought that all of the Euro YOT LPs just looked like cheap copies of the US pressings. But at some point things changed and I began to kinda like them. I now have three YOT Euro LPs on yellow vinyl. I'm not sure I like them enough to want to also collect them on black, but then again, the one thing I have realised over the years is that, in record collecting, you never say never!

7 comments:

Mike said...

I love how this thing looks. I'd grab one too if I had the chance.

geoff said...

i only have one euro repress, and that the GB on blue. I wouldnt mind having the YOT BDTW, but i just never felt the need for them.

Across Your Face said...

This looks SO awesome on yellow with that cover... Love it! One other note on the lyric page.... that shit looks like it would give me a headache with the yellow text on a black and white picture

mindset said...

i have this record it's a cool pressing

Dobek Ohashi said...

I noticed that this pressing is like marmite. Lads either love it or hate it. There are no in-betweens.

I'm into it.

Nico said...

I love this sleeve, so good!

fadetotoday said...

Not sure if anyone knows or cares, but back in the day (aka at the end of the 80s) Funhouse was THE hot shit HC mailorder and label in Germany. They also put out the Lethal Aggression - "Life is hard..." LP, which was the reason why YOT and Lethal Aggression toured Europe (or at least Germany) together in 88/89 – about the weirdest pairing possible, if you ask me. Anyway, sometime during the early to mid 90s they changed their name to "Frontline" and stopped putting out records altogether (for some time): http://www.discogs.com/label/38659-Frontline-2

Funny thing is, they still exist today. But only as a "Sneaker, Streetwear & Fashion Online Shop" -> http://www.frontlineshop.com

Well... Flame no longer burns, I guess ;D