Now that 2012 is over, it's time to take a few minutes to reflect. It was a pretty good year for music and a good year for records. So just for fun and posterity, here are my top 5 lists.
(Note - there are a lot of links here. Each record title links to the original post on this blog, whereas the record label name links to the label's site in case you want to buy some records of your own)
Top 5 7"s of 2012
2. GIVE 7" trilogy - ok, so I'm cheating a bit, but the three Give 7"s are on constant rotation for me and it's impossible to pick one over the other two, so I'm choosing all three. Sue me. 'I Am Love' (Triple B Records) 'Flowerhead' (Youngblood Records) 'Petal Pushing' (Painkiller Records)
5. POWER TRIP 'S/T' (Lockin' Out Records) - if you'd have told me when I bought this that it would make my top 5, I would have said you were insane. But this one grows on me every time I play it & I'm pretty much playing this daily now, especially in the gym.
Top 5 LPs of 2012>
1. GYPSY 'Giant's Despair' (Six Feet Under Records) - I was really looking forward to this LP, and it hit the spot immediately. I've played this loads this year and I show no signs of tiring of it. I only wish it were longer.
2. YOUR FAVORITE TRAINWRECK 'S/T' (Fortunate Son Records) - featuring Popeye from Farside and Jeff from Gameface, this was a slowburn at first but then I got hooked on a couple of songs, and now I know pretty much every word to it. Great record.
My Top 5 Pickups of 2012
2. UNITY 7" on blue - the first Wishingwell Records release, a killer record, and a long time want of mine. Done.
3. REASON TO BELIEVE LP Test Press - one of my all time favourite bands and albums, I was stoked to scoop a test press.
4. NO WARNING 'Suffer Survive' LP Test Press - I didn't listen to this album for years, but when I did listen I loved it. And fortunately, someone I knew just happened to be offloading a test press so I jumped all over it.
5. CAVE IN 'Jupiter' LP on clear - I've always loved Cave In, and this is the record of theirs I have played the most. The super rare clear vinyl copy appeared on eBay and I just had to take it.
Well, that pretty much sums up 2012 for me. Big thanks for anyone who continues to read this thing, and bigger thanks to those who comment. It's all about fun and communication, people. Here's to 2013...