Wednesday 23 May 2012

Current 'Peace Love' 7"

I picked this 7" up from Six Feet Under Records at the same time that I got the Gypsy LP, but it took me a couple of weeks to get around to listening to it as I was too addicted to the Gypsy LP to bother listening to anything else.

The funniest thing was that when I opened my package and this was in there I thought at first I had been sent a free 7" as I had no memory whatsoever of ordering it. But then I checked my paypal receipt and found that I had paid for it after all. I then spent a few minutes trying to figure out WHY I had ordered it. I mean, it didn't seem to have any kind of stand out feature. Nothing out of the ordinary to make me think 'god damn, I MUST order this one'. Well, I gave it a chance and in the end I'm glad I picked this up.

The front cover is interesting, although I can't look at this without thinking of Amy Winehouse. I think white is the most limited colour available too, out of 101 copies.

Talk about value for money. This 7" has nearly as many songs as an album and feels as long as one too.

I have found myself enjoying this and going back to it, although it's really hard to describe what it sounds like. The label's description says "sonically appealing to fans of everything from Burn to Quicksand to Bane to Modern Life Is War" which I would say is not far wrong, in that if you like most stuff then you'll no doubt find something you like here. One song even really sounds a lot like The Suicide File, which was one of my favourite bands of the last ten years. Dunno what else to say really, but I'd definitely buy an album if one came out.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I've avoided checking this band out. Why? Because I already like one band named Current, and adding a separate band with the same name is just too much of a pain in the ass when I bring them up on my ipod.