Sunday 24 July 2011

Some Girls 12"

Today I have two questions for you to ponder:

1. When is an LP not an LP?

2. When's the best time to buy stuff on eBay?

And now, by sheer fluke, I have identified a record that just so happens to answer both of those questions... the debut LP by the early 2000's super group Some Girls entitled 'All My Friends Are Going Death'. This came out in about 2004 and in my typical 'slightly late to the party' style, I've just picked it up for the first time.

When I say that this was the band's debut LP, I was of course being economical with the truth because (shock, horror) this is not an LP. Rather, this is a compilation of their two previously released 7"s and four other songs.

This is kinda cool because it has no insert... mainly because it doesn't need one. It has all the lyrics and other information etched into side 2. I don't actually think I've seen that before.

I wasn't looking to buy this thing. I just stumbled across it on eBay and looked to be going for a low price. So I threw in a bid and won it for £3.50. Not bad considering I spend more than that on lunch each day. This of course means that the answer to question 2 is "when shit's cheap"... which unfortunately doesn't seem to be very often these days.

2 comments:

Mike said...

I've got an Unwound 7 inch that is etched like that on the b-side...Gravity Records maybe? Impossible to follow the lyrics when the vinyl is playing. Ha!

jhulud said...

The two Kinghorse 7"s have the lyrics etched on the b-side. Pretty cool stuff.