Monday 13 June 2011

Get Up Kids Sup Pop 7"

My wants list and my approach to collecting is admittedly kinda weird at times. On the one hand, I have things on my want list that I want BADLY, that I would pay a lot of money for and which I would probably kill for if I really had to. I probably even devote a little time to trying to find these things by doing internet searches and maybe now and again trying to push a trade with someone. I would guess that this is how most people attack their own wants list. I mean, at the end of the day, if you want something, you do something to try to get it. You don't just sit there on your arse all day looking out of the window and hoping that by some fluke the thing you want will just drop out of the sky and land at your feet.

That said, however, I also have loads of things on my want list that would probably fit more aptly into a 'would be nice to own, but I'm almost indifferent about, and to be honest I'm not so bothered that I am ever going to put a lot of effort into finding. Basically, I'm happy to wait as long as it takes for one to fall into my hands at a decent price' list. But that's quite a mouthful. And again, if I'm honest, then probably 90% of my wants list falls into this latter category. Yes, it's true, the vast majority of the things on my want list I am not actually that bothered about getting. They're just on my list as a reminder that they exist and in case somebody will one day offer me as many free records as I can name. Oh, and because after 19 years, I don't know how to do much else other than buy records, and I need a list to remind me what to look for on ebay.

OK, so today's entry is a great example of me buying a record that I probably couldn't give less of a shit about.

The record in question is a 7" by the late 90s emo rock band, The Get Up Kids. This was released by Sub Pop as one of their monthly singles club releases back in 1999. On the back of the sleeve it says 'Edition of 1300' but it is well known that only 100 of these things came on clear vinyl. The clear version of this thing has regularly sold for over $100 for years. I always had it on my want list, but that was from when it came out, I put it on my list just because I figured it would be nice to have one, and because back then I probably quite liked this kinda crap and because it's a rare Sub Pop 7", and I always liked Sub Pop as a label... although into the mid 90s they started putting out some total rubbish and I had to acknowledge that they had totally fallen off.

Anyway, I was stoked to get this thing because it has been on my want list since it came out nearly 12 years ago. But at the same time, when I took it out of the cardboard mailer, as much as I thought it looked cool, I kinda realised that I didn't want it for the band or the music. I just wanted it because it was kinda elusive and (as Bod would say) "a nice one to have". But funnily enough, it did make me think to myself "why the hell am I still buying Get Up Kids records in 2011?". And I'm still struggling to find an answer.

6 comments:

Cam said...

I didn't know now limited this was until now. I picked one up about 5 years ago along with a bunch of other sub pop 7"s for £3 each. Nice to know.

Mark-Sandwell said...

"why the hell am I still buying Get Up Kids records in 2011?".
Because you're gay!!!

mcs said...

Funnily enough, your dad said the same thing to me in bed last night.

Mark-Sandwell said...

Your Dad's gayer than my dad.

mcs said...

That's not what your mum says.

Jazz said...

get up only had maybe one decent album in them - it's impossible to hear any of it now.