Sunday 5 June 2011

fIREHOSE promo 7"

There were a couple of Descendents promo 7"s on eBay a few weeks back. They went for $51 and $48 respectively. I watched them but in the end I didn't bid. But I did check the seller's other items and find another similar item that I liked the look of. In the end I won it for $7. I was beyond stoked.

The record is by a band called fIREHOSE (yup, that's how you write their name. Small 'f' and the rest in capitals). I won't go into much detail about the band, as you can read about them by using the link above if you are remotely interested. They came to my attention circa 1990 when I saw a skateboard video called 'Streets On Fire'. The final section of that video went to Natas Kaupas, who blew everyone's mind back then by spinning on a fire hydrant and boardsliding the roll bar in the back of a pickup truck. His section also had a great soundtrack - a song called 'Brave Captain' by an as then unknown band called fIREHOSE. A year or so later and a friend of mine managed to get his hands on a vinyl copy of the band's LP, and I was stoked to tape the first song onto a yellow Sony cassette, which I then played every day for god knows how long. It was one of those songs that makes a big impact on your life. You know how it is.

Nearly twenty years later I have just bought a 7" of that song. SST Records, catalog number PSST 079. The 'P' stands for 'Promo' (the real SST 079 was the band's first album, 'Ragin' Full On' which I scored a test press of back in September 2008). This 7" is a promotional record never intended for sale. I can only guess it went out to record stores and radio stations. Oh what a different world it was back then when labels had to send out free records in order to get their music heard. Promotion must have cost a small fortune!

This 7" isn't much to look at, but that's not really the point. It's a nice momento of an interesting time in my life. I guess that's what a lot of records are really. But goddamnit, this is also a great song. I haven't tired of this tune in twenty years and I seriously think I could play it every single day and never tire of it.

And for the old bastards amongst you, here's the video part it first featured in. Enjoy...

4 comments:

Cam said...

Never seen one of these before, great band though. Remember seeing them at the Newcastle Riverside around the time the Flyin' The Flannel LP came out 1991/92.

Handsome Pete said...

Stay away from me Watt:

http://hedancesfornickels.blogspot.com/2011/05/then-and-now.html

Nick said...

Great post man. The Natas video really brought it home.

Matt said...

This has gotta be the first time I've seen someone write about fIREHOSE without mentioning MINUTEMEN