Monday 7 February 2011

The Great Detroit Riverboat Race

After a very busy & lazy period, I'm back on track. Expect a few updates in the next couple of weeks...


In the mid 90s there were a slew of bands that almost spawned a genre. I don't know what the genre would have been called, but the formula was something like DC-ish emo type rock with a female vocal. There were a few bands that followed this formula with mixed success. Examples that immediately spring to mind include Ashes, Baby Gopal, Junction, Copper, Samuel, Idle Hands & Roosevelt's Inaugural Parade. There are probably more that I can't think of right now. But yeah, I was a big fan of this style and was always trying to find more bands & records that sounded similar.

One such find was a 7" by a band called The Great Detroit Riverboat Race. I vaguely remember reading reviews about the 7" and then wanting to check it out, but for some reason it seemed impossible to get hold of. I also remember reviews mentioning that it was numbered out of 100 copies, so for the longest time I thought that there were literally only 100 copies made in total. And I also seem to think that it came with a zine too, although I don't know what zine that may have been, or whether I am in fact just imagining it.

Anyway, as is usually the case I eventually tracked a copy down, although I am slightly disappointed in myself that I don't recall where or when. Usually I have a good memory for such things, but try as I might I have no idea where I got this record from originally. But when I did pick one up, the one thing that puzzled me was that my record wasn't numbered anywhere. In the end I just assumed that any write-ups mentioning it being numbered out of 100 must have had an insert that mine was missing. And I didn't even worry that I didn't have the zine!

Well anyway, many moons later and the mystery has been solved. I was on ebay recently & stumbled across one of these things in a different sleeve, which was (or rather is) numbered out of 100 copies. Here it is:

I can therefore guess that every review I ever read had one of these numbered out of 100 sleeves, whereas there were other copies in a non-numbered sleeve like my other copy. So just for reference, here's the copy that I have had in my collection for the last 10-15 (can't remember) years with the alternate sleeve:

If you are at all curious about this band (i.e. if you like any of the bands I mentioned at the start of this post) then I recorded the vinyl and made some mp3s. I figured nobody would mind. Here ya go:

Great Detroit Riverboat Race mp3s

I think these songs (and indeed, this genre) has held up well over the years. To me, these songs never get old and certainly don't sound dated. It's funny though is how strange it is hearing profanity in a female voice. I quote the second song... 'And still this happens every f*cking year'. Listen for yourself. Weird. But cool.

Finally.. if anyone knows anything at all about this band, please let me know. I literally know nothing. Who were these people? Did they do any other bands, either before or afterwards? Did this band record anything else? What's the score with the different sleeves? What are the band members up to now? If you know anything at all then please post a comment. Thanks!

9 comments:

TreTillDeath said...

Jesus Marcus, I would have probably PAID you to take this record from me. I think I have #3/100

jhulud said...

Well Tre...you can pay me to take the record from you. I've been looking for the #'d version.

Jerry said...

Band was from the Detroit area. The guitar player Benny would go onto King For a Day (Initial Recs Band) with most of Roosevelt's Inaugural Parade (minus Jay Navarro of Suicide Machines fame and the other singer..Sarah something) After that Benny was in Hoarse for a short period and Moods For Moderns after that. As far as the rest of the band I'm not sure. I think my friend Eric did that 7" though. I'll ask him.

Anonymous said...

Been looking for this for a long time!

Jerry-Sara's last name was Hively. Detroit was a very special scene back then. Miss those days a lot.

j rowe said...

my brother, jae rowe is the drummer.. funny to see this stuff is still floatin around out there

Angryemonerd said...

There was also a black vinyl press of this... Mine is no joke its not marble green

Anonymous said...

Definitely was a black pressing. Benny wasn't in Hoarse. He was in Posthole, Cleons Down, King For A Day, Koufax and Moods for Moderns.

J Rowe said...

The band was:
Carrie Ann Williams - vocals
Matthew Trautman - bass / background vocals
Ben Force - guitar
Ron Jasin - guitar
Jae Rowe - drums

AND, Ben Force WAS in Hoarse for a short spell on bass

Angryemonerd said...

yeah the record had 2 pressings, discogs only has the black pressing which is the one I have. it isn't numbered. There were plenty of bands similar to this one around its time, one of the most well known acts being the band Samuel.