Wednesday 29 December 2010

Negative Appraoch 2010 7"s

If, like me, you still didn't manage to get around to acquiring a Negative Approach 7" yet, then Touch & Go Records have come to the rescue with a 2010 reissue. What I like about this is that the cover has been updated / altered, so that it now shows a cartoon version of the original. Some people thought this was a horrible idea when it was first announced a few months ago, but I think it's really cool. I mean, it's the same yet different. A new twist on an old classic. The labels haven't been updated though, and are the same as the original release, although are now printed in blue ink rather than black (or red).

Not sure if the the insert is the same or not though, since I don't own an original to compare it to.

Also, Taang! Records have also just released a Negative Approach 7", entitled 'Friends Of No One'. This features another cartoon sleeve, and contains six songs that were recorded in 1984 but only discovered on a tape in a basement in 2010.

I got a Taang! flyer, which is interesting because it suggests that some classic records are going to be reissued in the near future:

Yes, that's right - a Negative Approach box set is on the cards. Maybe if I'm lucky each one will come with an original 7" inside. If only!

7 comments:

Offsidealex said...

Hi
this cover of the 7'' repress is horrible , beurk
cheers
Alex

Mike said...

I don't mind the cover of the repress. I think that it pales in comparison to the original, but I like the fact that it is a different take on it...thus it kind of keeps the original special. How is the TAANG! 7 inch? Now the cartoon cover for that one looks terrible!

Lins87 said...

dear god that is pure sacrilege! both covers make me want to puke hahaha

mel said...

Aye, horrible covers, anyone in the uk distroing them?

mcs said...

I bought them from the States, Mel. Couldn't find them over here. Although did see the reissue one in a shop in London last week... for £8.99. The crazy thing is that this is actually less than you can buy it on ebay. Couple of people are selling it on there for £9.99 plus postage.

lecky said...

I got the Touch & Go reissue a while back from ebay and it was expensive, but even though I have an original I had to have it.
The artwork on both releases are bad, everyone seems to agree on that, but the recording on Friends Of No One does not sound like it was recorded in a studio despite the claims from Taang, it's more like a rehearsal tape, and Brannon's voice isn't half as good as on the T&G 7" or LP, it sounds like he's not really trying. I was doubly disappointed that there is no info about the band or recording and no lyrics etc... while this shouldn't surprise me - it is a Taang release after all - it is still annoying. I'm not saying it's a bad record but it's no where near what I was expecting, the only thing that redeems it is the rawness and aggression of the songs themselves.

Lecky said...

After a few more listens - it's growing on me, I already knew most of the songs though, the only new ones (to my ears) were Friends Of No One - a good solid hardcore song that would have sounded right at home on the Tied Down LP, and Cargo Cult - which sounds closer to Laughing Hyenas (that's not a put down btw) than Negative Approach. Obsession is on the Live @ Newton Theatre 7" but is so raw that it's hard to make out what's going on, so it's good to have a better version as it's such a great song. A live version of I Got A Right was on Total Recall as was Kiss Me Kill Me and Genocide which is also on their demo from '81 although it's a less self indulgent and more punk sounding version than the one here but that's just progress I guess.
I think I'm starting to like this record although I'm still angry about the lack of any lyrics/info.