Saturday 7 August 2010

Sick Of It All 7" Trade

After the recent Record Store Day reissue on clear vinyl, I decided that my Sick Of It All 7" collection was rather lacking. So I set up a trade with Tru Pray to get one of the more common versions of the original pressing. Or rather, the fourth pressing. Here's what the Revelation discography has to say about it:

4th press : 2000 black vinyl
Maroon lettering, cover photo a bit closer up then the rest, 33rpm. There are two sleeves that are known to come with this press. The most common one has nothing printed on the inner portion of the sleeve, while others have catalog and ordering info printed there. How many of each sleeve is not known.

It's also funny how the discography says that the first pressing is on "thin vinyl" as if this somehow differentiates it from the later pressings. Yet this later pressing is not exactly on what I would call thick vinyl. Check it:

What's funny about this is the stickers that were on it when it showed up. There were two, one on the front cover and one on the label:

Yup, that's right... this cost one dollar. You can read Tru's little story about it HERE if you wish... and while you are at it take some time to check out the rest of his blog.

The only problem with this trade was that initially it went a bit wrong. The record pictured above is the second copy I got sent. The first I was not happy with. It had clearly suffered from water damage at some point. I don't think it happened in transit because the package itself was fine. So this must have happened in the store at some point in the last twenty years. But anyway, the sleeve was all crinkly and I wasn't happy with it. Here are some photos so you can see what turned up on in my postbox:

I gotta say though, big thanks for Tru for sending me a second one. He did this without me even sending pics of the damaged record. A very trusting guy, and a clearly great dude to deal with.

4 comments:

-cja said...

Tru is definitely a class act. he was selling records once at a Bane show at some tiny coffee house in VA and gave me a Slayer 'Criminally Insane' 12" gratis.

Anonymous said...

i got a comment - i am currently trying to fill the entire SOIA 7" catalog and have bought many over the last 4 months. a couple weeks back i bought 2 (what were suppose to be the fourth press) bootlegs. i emailed rev and they said yup, there are boots. you can tell because the picture on the front is washed out and the picture label is too. there is virtually no gray tone. plus the letters of the songs were a bit fuzzed out/dotted. and there is a small thin white line on the back right side. i have a 4th press copy all ready. so i matched them up and sure enough, that was the case. plus the original sleeve was oversized. and this was not. so i am still in search of a second copy of a legit fourth press. the only reason i mention this is because from your pics the cover looks washed white just like my 2 bootlegs. i know tru is a stand up guy. not trying to start trouble. just thought i would mention. if you want scans of mine, shoot me an email at billboardprints1@yahoo.com

mcs said...

Thanks for the comment. But I don't believe for one second that this is a boot. I've never heard of a boot of this 7", and I know that the sleeve is legit, because I got one of the recent RSD ones on clear and it is the exact same sleeve. Yes, the label lacks a bit of the grey tone, but I don't think that one factor qualifies it as a boot. I also have a SOIA 7" with a xerox sleeve. I asked Rev & they couldn't remember, but it wasn't uncommon for them to change printers and pressing plants etc, so things did change from one press to another. Also, the matrix looks genuine on this (most boots have different matrix to the original), and the insert is the same as the one I got in the RSD pressing.

I'm not saying yours isn't a boot. But I'm confident that this one is not.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of sleeves I have a few spare minty sleeves + inserts for the 1st press. I think this is the one Rev record I have the most copies of.