Monday 23 August 2010

Box of Odds & Ends

I won a record on eBay a couple of weeks ago. Nothing great. But when the auction was over I noticed that the description mentioned that the seller had lots of other records for sale, and a list was available to anyone who might be interested. So, as you would expect, I asked for the list. And, as you would also expect, I found a few items of interest. I'll run through them in alphabetical order...

First one is a good one. The first release from the Beastie Boys,which is a 7" called 'Polly Wog Stew':

For the younger readers of this blog who may not be aware, The Beastie Boys started out as a NY hardcore band. The rumour is that they were such big Bad Brains fans that they named their band Beastie Boys just so that the band initials were BB like HR's crew. As the photo shows, they look pretty young here. But also, notice that there used to be a girl in the band. The other point of note about this 7" is that it was released by Rat Cage Records, who are probably most well known for putting out the Agnostic Front 'Victim In Pain' LP.

Overall, I'm stoked to own this. I remember thinking when I was about 19 that I would never ever be able to find one of these, let alone find one at a reasonable price. I guess this is a lesson that all good things come to those who wait!

Next up, a couple of Descendents LPs on New Alliance Records. Firstly, 'Enjoy':

And secondly, 'I Don't Want To Grow Up'. I don't usually like using the flash for pictures, but the way the first pic came out made me laugh:

Next, a couple of Gameface split 7"s out out by Speedowax Records (one out of 500, one out of 50). These sleeves aren't too pretty.

Next up, another release by Rat Cage Records. A 7" by a band called Neos with a ridiculous title - 'Hassibah Gets The Martian Brain Squeeze'. To be honest, I only picked this one up because it was on Rat Cage and was cheap, so I figured I could either trade or sell it on. But I haven't listened to it yet, and maybe when I do I will decide to keep it. So if you want this, get in touch quick before I give it a spin and decide that i want to hang on to it!

And to finish, a couple of Suicidal Tendencies records. The first LP, on Frontier Records (I believe this to be a first pressing), which is now 27 years old. Goddamn. I don't know which is worse - that this is 27 years old, or that I have never owned a copy of this before.

The second Suicidal record is a bit of a funny one. It's either a test press, or a promo copy (although, to be honest, it was probably the same thing) of the 'Possessed To Skate' 12" EP. It comes in a plain black sleeve with a sticker on the front:

So there you go. I think this is a nice, if eclectic, little haul. And for a change, nothing here cost very much, which somehow makes it even better.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marcus, Neos were great, give it a spin.

Cam

Lins87 said...

Agree with Cam if you get rid of that Neos record I'm deleting your blog from my links!!! :0

xyosefx said...

That Neos record is an all-time classic, you'd better fukking hang onto it!!! I paid $40 for mine and that was a steal in my book.