Monday 14 June 2010

Iron Age Hen's Teeth 7"

Another day, another Iron Age record. Today it's a 'Burden Of Empire' 7". This just strikes me as a weird release. Why? Well, just because it has a very DIY (and cheap) feel to it. I would have thought that there would have been labels pretty much queuing up to release it, yet the band chose to release it themselves. What's wrong with that? Well, nothing at all. In fact, it's cool. But the weird thing is that they seem to have not put a lot of effort into it. The records have blank labels, but there are about 20 different sleeve variations for it. But each 'sleeve' is just a single piece of card. So no wrap-around sleeve or jacket that the record goes into. So it just feels kinda rushed and kinda cheap. Kinda like what you would expect from a bootleg. I guess I only find this weird because I think that if I were in a band then I would want to make my records look nice. But maybe I'm missing the point.

Anyway, despite there being an insane number of cover variations, nearly all of the records are black vinyl. There are, however, a few copies on red vinyl. I have no idea how many. But I do remember that Dave from Six feet Under Records sold one on eBay some months ago. I remember this for one reason - that the description said it was 'rare as hen's teeth', which was a phrase I had never heard before. Cue me trying (unsuccessfully) to find out if hen's teeth do actually exist. If not then it's a stupid saying.

Anyone know the pressing info for this thing? I mean, is it really as rare as something that may or may not exist?

3 comments:

Graham said...

Balls, I hadn't seen there was a pressing on red. Let me know if you see another one for sale!

mcs said...

Will do, sir!

Stefan Sonic said...

if you want to see all the cover variations, head on over to my how's your edge page, there is a photo:

http://www.howsyouredge.com/swap/display.php?page=855