Wednesday 9 June 2010

A clear night for a Knife Fight

I remember ordering the first Knife Fight 7" direct from My War records back when it came out. I also remember how disappointed I was that there was no colour vinyl. The label is long since dead and the website & discography are gone, but I am sure that the only limited version was one with a printed inner sleeve. If my memory serves me correctly, I think the first 50 or so had a picture printed on the reverse side of the sleeve. I didn't get one though, despite pre-ordering it right away. Typical.

Anyway, a couple of years ago, I was surfing eBay and came across a clear vinyl copy. I was puzzled. I mean, this was way after after the label had folded, so it didn't seem possible that it could be a newish repress. So I assumed that either it was a 'friends' press type deal from the original first press from 2003, or a very limited repress from maybe a year after the record came out. But I had no idea & am just speculating. I didn't win the one a couple of years ago, but I did finally track one down a couple of weeks ago:

The sleeve of this one also features a nice touch which makes it different to my black vinyl copy. The teeth on the animal (which I now think is a dog, although until about two weeks ago I was under the impression that it was a bear) are coloured in red:

I regard this 7" as pretty much flawless. A great hardcore 7". Ten songs in about seven minutes, and they all rip. I missed the chance to see them play in the UK in about 2004 because my brother was staying with me for the weekend, he doesn't like hardcore, and I thought it unfair to make him go to the 1in12 Club in Bradford and watch bands he would hate for a few hours. Despite saying that though, I now wish I had made him go. Balls.

Well anyway, when I searched for 'Knife Fight' on eBay in search of this 7" that I subsequently won, I also found someone selling a copy of the LP on clear. At least, I think it's an LP, although it may technically be an EP. I don't know. I'm also not sure it really matters. But I never owned this before and I don't know anything about it. I did see one of these on eBay once but it sold for about $40, so I was pretty happy to win this one for only $12.50.

I never heard this before, but so far I am a bit disappointed by it. It sounds like a different band to the first 7", but not in a good way. I can only hope that this one will grow on me in time, because I really want to like it. I also really want the mp3's, as I'd like to listen to it as I ride my bike to work. If someone could help me out there, it would be appreciated.

Oh yeah... and if anyone knows anything about the pressing info on either of these things, please let me know. I'm curious.

6 comments:

Thomo said...

Awesome records man KF rule!, clear vinyl is is great

Thomo said...

also i found a blog with the mp3's from 'crisis' http://eirecore.blogspot.com/2007/05/crisis-is-final-recording-by-these.html

bl'ast! said...

if i'm not wrong the clear vinyl of the 1st 7" was a mistake, less than 100 were pressed ..about 75 or so.

anyway i have one for trade or sell

chrisphillips said...

It's definitely an LP and it's definitely not especially good. Both 7"s are great. I cannot embellish you with pressing info.

Lins87 said...

I was at the 1 in 12 show and tbh Knife Fight were pretty bland live. Dead Stop absolutely killed them that day.

mcs said...

Thomo - thanks for the links! Finally got around to downloading this today. Appreciated!