Monday 25 January 2010

Down To Nothing 1st 7"

Once again I've been slack on here. But at least I have a reason - daylight. Or rather, lack of. I've got to a point where I HATE taking photos in artificial light, since the lights in my house are very yellowish and this gives crap results. So I like to take photos in the natural daylight. But I don't get to see any daylight at home right now. The sun isn't up when I go to work and it's long gone by the time I get home. So the only time I get to take photos is the weekend, but half the time I don't get around to it.

Well I got a few bits last week, so decided to just get on with it, so there are going to be a lot of updates this week to clear the backlog. The first is a post that is long overdue, because I picked these things up just before the new year.

I have a friend who used to have probably the best Down To Nothing collection in the world. But recently he decided to sell most of it off because, let's face it, DTN aren't as cool in 2010 as they were in 2004. So I took the opportunity to pick up three of the rarest versions of their first 7" on Dead By 23 Records...

First up is the first press swirl version, number 9 of 31:

This is part of the first press of this record. There were 31 copies which were definitely a "transition" between black and purple (if you want to see the transition, check THIS PIC which is of Stefan Sonic's collection - he owns 8 of the 31 copies!). This one is largely black. This also has a Blacklist Booking stamp embossed on the dust sleeve. No idea how many have that, but probably not many.

I also picked up another copy from the same range, but a later number which is more toward the purple swirl of the regular press:

The third version I grabbed is one of the regular versions on purple swirl... although this one is quite transparent compared to most copies (you'll have to take my word for it):

Here's a picture of the three together to show how they compare:

Not content with three copies, I also grabbed a fourth version, which is one of the swirl versions from the second press:

The second press was on clear red, but the first 30 were a transition that ranged from orange to pink to red. (Again, if you want to see the transition, see THIS PIC which is of Stefan Sonic's collection. Dude owns 10 of the 30 copies!). This one is one of the later ones which is nearly all red. Oh yeah, notice that this version also has the sleeve coloured by hand, which is a nice touch.

So, aside from having multiple versions of the transition colours, I have a pretty much complete collection of this 7" now. Test press, release show version, and multiple colours. It's not often I actually complete a collection, so I figured it was worth taking a photo of the lot together... even if I did have to take it inside and use the flash.

5 comments:

Wade said...

the dead by 23 dtn releases are so rare i just assume that i wont get my hands on them until years from now. esp the 6 song 7".

Anonymous said...

Ewwww they arn't as cool now as they were back then? Thats crazy. The 7" coming out on Reaper will destroy that 1st 7"

Rick Smith said...

pretty cool to see the transitions of the red one out of 30 ive got number #4/30.

Wade said...

I don't know about the new 7" being better but I will be preordering.

TreTillDeath said...

Feel free to check my tradelist. I am planning on getting rid of my entire Dead By 23 collection...

http://www.howsyouredge.com/swap/display.php?page=54