Monday 7 December 2009

This That Records

So a few weeks ago I got an email from a dude called Tim, who has recently started a small label called THIS THAT RECORDS, asking if he could send me a couple of records to feature on my blog. Naturally I said yes. I mean, if someone asked you if it was ok for them to send you some free records, you'd probably do the same, right? Well, the package turned up a few weeks ago, but as usual I am WAY behind on this blog. But at least this has given me the time to listen to these things properly to give them a fair "review" (not that I am a reviewer or want to be one, but that just seems like a reasonable term to use for my stupid opinion on these things).

I got sent the label's first two releases. Since the label is based in Texas, both releases are by Texas hardcore bands. The first is the 'Sidewalk Slam' 7" by a band called THE LION OF WALL STREET, which is Tim's own band:

This is hand numbered out of 300 copies. I am not sure how many (if any) are still available.

I am really glad that I got sent this 7". This is some pretty raging Texas hardcore which I have been playing a LOT the past few weeks. I am rubbish at trying to describe what things sound like, but this reminds me of the kinda stuff that B9 was putting out in about 2001-3. But rather than listen to me waffle on about this, Tim has put the songs up on mediafire for people to download, so you can check it out for yourself. The songs are HERE. My only complaint is that the final two songs are from different recording sessions and the mix is different to the previous four songs. But that small point aside, this 7" rips, and I would advise you to spend a couple of minutes checking it out.

The second (and third) record(s) I got sent is an album by a band called GRAVE ROBBERS. Another Texas band, these dudes are difficult to pigeonhole. Imagine some tough ass band who sound like Merauder but who perform covered in blood and have an obsession for horror. Well, that's Grave Robbers for ya. I got sent two different versions, as you can see, both of which are limited to 104 copies:

The overall package here is pretty good, although I gotta say that I think the cover art is pretty bad and immediately makes me not want to listen to the record. Ignoring the cover though, this record reminds me of the Himsa album that came out a few years back that sounded like hardcore crossed with Iron Maiden in places... oh, and bits of it reminds me of Converge too. I guess this is pretty interesting for this genre, although I would probably have been a lot more stoked on this about ten years ago when I was more into that kind of sound.

Overall though, a good start from This That Records. It seems there are a lot of interesting bands in Texas at the moment, so I'm looking forward to seeing what they come out with next.