Tuesday 27 October 2009

Jesu 'Infinity' LP

'Infinity' is the new album by Jesu. At least, I think it's an album, although the reason I am unsure is that it's only one song... albeit a forty nine and a half minute long song. However, despite being billed as one song, this is actually like several songs all put together. The tempo and style changes relatively frequently. So really it is like an album, but one which has been all blended together to be enjoyed as one long 'experience'.

Once again, the artwork is of landscape, this time trees against a grey sky. And for some reason this needs a gatefold sleeve:

I don't have much to say on this. I love this band and I love this record. The only fault is that, at nearly 50 minutes long, you need a long time to listen to it. Stopping it halfway through would be missing the point.

If you've never heard this band then I suggest checking them out. This is the perfect soundtrack to desolate & barren landscapes and times when you want to sit around & wonder what the fuck the point of everything is.

http://www.myspace.com/officialjesu

5 comments:

Doug W said...

Alright! Great to see that this record has shipped. It is on my list of 20+ preorders I am waiting for!
Man, there are not words to describe how awesome Jesu is. I'm happy someone else around here loves them (him) too.
I am glad Justin slowed down on the output this year. Last year was murder on the bank account.

Wade said...

this band puts out some good stuff.

Chris Phillips said...

Terrific band. I love epic music of this type. If anyone has anymore recommendations, let's hear them...

Love the blog Marcus, I remember you from the glory days of the old D&G board. I used to post as The Youth. I knew...no-one. Cool to cyber bump into you.

mcs said...

Doug - I was waiting on 19 orders (some pre-orders, some ebay wins) until a couple of days ago & things have started to roll in. It's always nice when things start to arrive, although now I have to blog about them all...

Hi Chris. Thanks for the comment. The Youth was one of my three favourite posters on that board. Good written style and great sense of humour. Have you seen they've ressurected the D&G board... except, unfortunately, time has moved on & it doesn't attract the same people or the same levels of discussion these days.

Chris Phillips said...

Yep, it seems that over the past two or three years the talent pool of UKHC might have dried up slightly and over the same sort of span I had to do grown up things like get a proper job and acquire a wife. Hence, hardcore kind of went off the rader a bit, sadly. There are still a number of bands I keep an eye open for like Career Suicide, Out Cold and whathaveyou, but overall I'm desperately out of touch. It also goes with the territory that so many hardcore bands have such a short shelf life that you avert your gaze for five minutes and all of a sudden it's all gone. But I've got into lots of other kinds of music too and listen to a load of stuff like Earth and The Brian Jonestown Massacre as well as old favourites, so it's not all bad.

Particular stand out memories, while I'm on a roll, were all Walk The Plank gigs in Liverpool. Halcyon days. I recall the Underdog gig in Manchester, which was fantastic apart from Underdog. I'd come to the end of a period of four months on crutches the day prior. On the downside, after three (or was it four?) great 7" releases, the Mental LP was dreadful. I thought it sounded like Linkin Park. Another was the acute disappointment I felt when Justice suddenly turned into Supertouch, though I know a lot of people approved. This is only a few years ago but I'm getting nostalgic. Dead Stop still get regular spins, people will talk of them as the best of the bunch in years to come.


I shall keep a keen eye on the new Dead and Gone board and see what develops.