Friday 4 September 2009

World In Shreds Box Set

I have mentioned previously that I used to listen to a lot of East Bay punk type stuff years ago. And recently I have been revisiting some of that stuff. Shredder Records put out a series of 7" compilations called "The World In Shreds" between 1988-1991. There were five 7"s released. I have had a couple of these on my want list for YEARS. I have never been overly bothered about picking them up, and never really chased them. But recently knew the time had come to finally pick them up when I spotted a box set on eBay.

The seller is slowly selling off the entire collection of the owner of Shredder Records. So he's sold a few of these things now. Given that there are only 36 copies in existence, I'm guessing that not many of these actually got out there originally.

Inside are all five 7"s on colour vinyl:

Volume 2 is probably the most sought-after of these records because it features the two most popular bands of the series - Crimpshrine and Jawbreaker. In fact, this records was the first ever vinyl release for Jawbreaker.

Volume 3 is one of the harder ones to find. Apparently this one was not originally pressed on colour, but they repressed it especially for this box set. However, the original plan was to make 100 box sets rather than 36. Doesn't really explain why they made 300 on colour though.

Volume 4 comes on a special colour vinyl - Obnoxio - and is hand-numbered.

Finally, the box also contains a piece written by the owner of Shredder Records about how the label, these compilations and the box set came to exist. I took a pic (in big size) so anyone interested could read it (click the pics to see them in large, readable format):

Pretty cool item I'm sure you will agree, even if you are not into this kinda stuff.

3 comments:

Mike said...

I don't think I know many bands in this box set, but you are correct, it is pretty cool. Nice job with the post, Lefty.

Nab/JSY said...

Have you heard abou THORNS OF LIFE? it's a band featuring the singer of Jawbreaker and the Drummer of Crimpshrine (+ the girl from The L Word on bass). They only have live sets on MP3 and tons of live vids on youtube. a LP is supposed to come out soon. I think they already broke up though.

Anonymous said...

Not sure about the others but that volume three had a limited peach kind of color when it came out. Could be mistaken but fairly certain they were given to/made for band members