Tuesday 21 July 2009

Break It Up Test 2

I'm gonna start this entry by asking a question:

Do you believe in destiny?

I was checking eBay UK one evening last week. I typed in some generic search term like "sxe" and the first item that came back was a Break It Up 7" test press. The time remaining on the auction was showing as less than one minute. So I clicked on the item, and the timer told me there were only 19 seconds left. I usually think for a couple of days about how much I want to bid on a record, but this time I had literally seconds to decide if I was going to bid and how much to throw down. About three seconds later I placed a bid, and a couple of seconds after that I ended up winning... for just over £10.

Lins87 tells me that this is the only test press that comes in the Crippled Youth sleeve. Which makes it one of a kind and therefore makes it cool. But what I found more interesting is what's written on the dust sleeve:

It says "Join The Fight - Notts 19/12/04". I recognised the date instantly. It was the day of a Dead & Gone Records show. Pretty much every band on the label at that time got together and played an end of year show in Nottingham (which just so happens to be the city in which I was born, not that this has anything to do with the story). As it happens, I was at that show. One thing I remember was that Break It Up were selling tickets for a raffle in order to raise money for someone who was sick. The prize was a Break It Up 7" test press. So because the date of the show was written on the dust sleeve, I figured that maybe this was the copy that was raffled off at that show. I asked the seller & he confirmed that it was & he was the winner.

So here's the thing... I was at that show and I bought a ticket, but I didn't win. Yet here we are, four and a half years later, and I've ended up with the record.

So what do you think?

Destiny?

2 comments:

jhulud said...

That is a great story. Destiny indeed Marcus!

Anonymous said...

Awesome story, great band and a damn good record.