Wednesday 17 June 2009

Pelican 4th Pressing

I've always bought stuff from Hydrahead Records. I used to phone up Aaron Turner back when the label was young circa 1997 and ask him what was coming out & how much money I needed to send. One time he told me there were going to be 6 different versions of the first Cave In 12", so I sent money for six and then he only made two versions... haha. Anyway, I always dug the label and the stuff they put out. So back in 2003 (or maybe 2004) when they put out a Pelican double LP ('Australasia') I thought nothing of ordering it, even though I had never heard of Pelican and had no clue about what they sounded like. When the record arrived, my first observation was that it had weird artwork with no words anywhere. I played the record and it seemed kinda weird. No vocals. Just long instrumental "songs" that were kinda heavy but also kinda not. At first I didn't get it. But I soon got into it. It seemed the perfect soundtrack to driving home from work in the long, light evenings. I then went through a phase where I sought out other bands that didn't have vocals. I kinda got to this point where I had decided that most vocals ruined the music, and decided that vocals were pointless and distracting. Pelican suddenly seemed like the perfect band. Then a year or so later they brought out a new album and they blew up. I saw them live in 2005 and they were amazing.

Anyway, I just picked up the fourth (and final) pressing of 'Australasia'. This version comes on silver and gold (or, rather, grey and dirty yellow) vinyl, in a screen-printed gatefold hand numbered sleeve. Its nice. Although what's weird is that I'm not sure what label actually released this. Does anyone know?

5 comments:

David said...

4th pressing was on Interloper records

jhulud said...

Hydra Head is one of my favorite labels. They can't do no wrong in my book.

jhulud said...

...or should that be "can do no wrong"?...damnit...now I'm getting myself confused.

Alternate 1995 said...

this is how I felt about From Monument To Masses. No vocals, and for some reason I fell in love with them.

Anonymous said...

Could you email me? I have a question about this one: sean@thenewlanguage.com

Thanks!