Saturday 4 April 2009

Jazz June Test

I'm not sure how you would define this band. Emo rock? I'm not a huge fan of stuff like this, but I got into this band many years ago because one of my favourite labels at the time (Initial Records) put out a 7" by them. I really liked the record, so then tracked down a couple of 12"s. My favorite was their first album, "They Love Those Who Make The Music". I played this to death back in 1998 or so. Anyway, I was checking eBay recently and found a test press of it. I figured I would bid, and was extremely surprised to win it for only $15... especially since the same seller had another Jazz June test that went for $63. It's always good to pick up something nice for a bargain price.

I hadn't played the regular version of the record for years, so I got it out to compare. This is what my copy looks like:

What's interesting is that my regular version of this album was a split release between Choke & Workshop Records. But the matrix on this test press has a Workshop code (WR-011V-A & WR-011V-B), whereas the regular record has a different matrix that reads "Choke 2A" & "Choke 2B". So I immediately wondered if the test I picked up is a test press of an earlier pressing or a later repress, or is it a possibly an initial test press that was rejected for some reason? I asked the seller. He thinks that the original pressing of the album was on Workshop Records and on black vinyl, and the split release with Choke Records that I have was a later version. Which would suggest that my test press is a test of the original version. But not sure I'll ever know. Regardless, it's still a nice one to have.

6 comments:

mike said...

I was thinking of placing a bid on this record but passed on it. Im glad it went to a good home

M.

Mike said...

another day, another test press for Marcus.

mcs said...

The funny thing is, I was never bothered about test pressings until about three years ago. I dread to think how many I might have if I had been into them back in the days of the Revelation trade board.

dave said...

so you're the one that outbid me on that test! you sonofabitch!

Alex said...

Hey Marcus. Sorry if I'm going to respond to this only now. The original pressing of the album was a split release between Workshop Records and Choke Records. That came out in 1997. Cat number of that for Workshop was WR-006.

In 2000 Workshop repressed those records with just white label for a "Workshop Box Set" that was only limited to 45-50 copies. What you have is actually just a piece of that Box Set. WR-011 is, to my knowledge, the last thing Workshop ever pressed, since the last official release was WR-009. WR-010 was the never released Jazz June LP "The Medicine". Those test presses have WR-010 on them.

Hope this helps!
Alex

mcs said...

Thanks for the info, Alex. Any chance you can send me a pic of the box set?

If what I have here really is not a test but part of a box set, then I guess I don't want the thing anymore!