Monday 6 April 2009

Capital LPs

Once again I got suckered into buying a record for the cover. I was checking Revelation's website a few weeks back & this picture of a church against a blue sky caught my eye. The picture in question was the cover of an album called "Homefront" by a band called CAPITAL. I liked the picture, so decided to read about the band. Then I decided to order the record.

I think there were 300 copies on gold vinyl. Blue vinyl also exists, which I think is rarer. I also decided to order the band's first album too, since it's uneconomical to buy just one record, with the crazy exchange rate and postage rates. I bought two versions of this one:

Even though I was initially attracted by the cover photo, I'm glad that something drew me to this band. I can't say enough good things about this. I don't know exactly what to say, so I am just going to tell you the things I like in no particular order:

1. The singer used to sing for a band called Silent Majority. I used to listen to this band a lot.

2. There's a song called "On A Mission", which is a story of how the singer discovered the "New York City Hardcore - The Way It Is" LP in a second hand record store. The lyrics are fantastic. The chorus is "And now I've spent half my life just chasing that excitement of hearing something new", which somehow seems to sum my life up perfectly.

3. There's a song on the first album called "Early Nineties", which features the line "I tried searching for the light, then I cried the holy name". As far as I am concerned, references to early 90s records are cool.

4. They have a song called "Goth N Roll" which is about shitty fake bands, which features really great lyrics, the best bit being "I'm resurrecting Minor Threat just to take you out. All you scream about are dead girls bleeding hearts and fake worlds. As you can see, I'm not that frightened". Genius!

5. Both albums were recorded in a local kindergarten for free. Talk about punk!

It's not often that a band can come along and make me want to like them so badly. I guess this band just seem to sum up what hardcore is to me. Musically they sound like a few bands from the more melodic end of the spectrum. I can hear bits of bands like Silent Majority (obviously), Avail, Death By Stereo, Dag Nasty, Strike Anywhere and Quicksand. The songs are catchy. But its more the band's principles, intelligence and sincerity that I'm into at this point.

You can check the band out here:

www.myspace.com/capitallihc

If you want to order any records, the vinyl is on Underground Communiqué, which you can find here:

www.myspace.com/undergroundcommuniquerecords

Enjoy...

2 comments:

Mike said...

This band is so good. I've downloaded Homefront, but I have not heard their first album.

xroldx said...

More people should get into Capital. Great lyrics, great records.