Thursday 4 December 2008

Mates Rates

I got this stuff over a week ago, but hadn't found time to take photos & update this thing, let alone listen to any of the records. I'm spending too much time at work and the gym at the moment. I hate winter and I hate December. Cold and dark. My policy is to get out of the house as much as possible to save money on heating!

Anyway, once again I sourced some records from a friend within the UK, thus avoiding the crippling US dollar exchange rate. And once again, I look at the records I have bought and realise that there's only one of these records that I didn't own already. It's pretty funny how I hate spending money on stuff in 'real life', but this does not apply to records. I mean, I have a pair of shoes for work, and I think to myself "I have a pair of shoes, so clearly buying a second pair would be a pointless waste of money". Yet for some reason the same logic does not apply to buying records. I'll buy multiple versions of the same record, and play none of them, and somehow this seems ok. I wonder if anyone other than a fellow collector would understand this? Probably not.

So anyway, on to the haul. I'm dealing with these in alphabetical order. First, a couple of split 7"s... the A-Team / R'N'R split on blue (the only record in the batch I didn't previously own), and the Blacklisted / First Blood split. You will notice that one of these has a really, really shit cover:

Did you spot which has the shit cover? Yes you did, because it's both of them, so you can't have got it wrong. Well done! Next up is a pair of 7"s that make me think of the Livewire board, since people from both bands are regular posters there. Get Down 7" on pink and The First Step 7" on red:

Next up we have the Get Real 7" on blue, which is one of my favourite 7"s of the post-2000 era, and the posi numbers press (on green, numbered out of 100) of the Iron Boots 7":

Internal Affairs demo 7". This version is numbered out of 50, and came with 'Wise Up' fanzine issue 3. I have a spare copy of this zine & 7" package if anyone wants it:

Next, two further versions of the same Internal Affairs demo 7", one on clear vinyl with a white cover, and one on black with a Unit Pride sleeve:

Next, another Internal Affairs 7". This is, I think, the record release show sleeve (numbered out of 100) of the Malfunction 7". Also pictured is the Living Hell 7" on A389 Records, which is also numbered out of 100:

Here are the numbers:

Now, a couple of posi numbers pressings. A Mental 7" made for posi numbers 2003, and a One Up 7" made for posi numbers 2004. The One Up sleeve is without doubt the gayest record cover of all time (I now have a spare copy if anyone is interested):

Once again, I took a photo of the numbers:

A Panic 7" on split blue & yellow vinyl. God knows why it has taken me so long to pick one of these up. I bought this when it came out and got the (much rarer) green vinyl version, but I liked the 7" so much that I decided I wanted the more common version shown here. This must have been like 6 or 7 years ago (can I REALLY be that long? Jesus!) and I've only just got this. I haven't listened to this for ages. I put it on my ipod & have been listening to it a lot this past week. Regardless of what anyone else thinks, I love this 7".

And finally, an LP. The Loud And Clear LP. This is the first press on red, put out by euro label Powered Records. This is one of my recent favourites. I only started listening to it a few weeks ago in the gym, and it's now a gym regular. Sounds like Youth Of Today to me, and is perfect soundtrack to squats.

This now concludes today's broadcast. Thank you for listening.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Oh man, I'm with you on this one! I hate spending money on anything other than records. I'll wear my basketball sneakers until I've got a hole in the sole the size of a quarter, just to delay spending that precious record money. I pack my lunch for work each day so that I don't have to spend money to go out for lunch. I'm cheap for most things, but you let me loose in the record store, or ebay, and I'm out of control.

I would love to know the story behind the cover for that One Up 7 inch, because you are right...it's pretty gay. :)

Junk Food said...

You guys are crazy. I would kill to put out a record with that cover. Dude crew!!!