Tuesday 14 October 2008

Dinosaur Jr

One of the first bands I got into was Dinosaur Jr. The sole reason was that they had a song on an old sk8 video (a Santa Cruz speed wheels video called "Speed Freaks"). The final section went to Mike Vallely, who skated to "Freak Scene" by Dinosaur Jr. At the time I didn't know who the band was. This was in the days when sk8 vids didn't tell you what music they featured. Or rather, they just listed the bands, without any reference to what band was featured in what section. So it was by chance that I found out the band was Dinosaur Jr. After that my friend bought the album and I taped it. Over the next three years they released another couple of albums and became one of my favourite bands. Then I discovered straight edge and started listening to Judge and Chain and for some reason decided that anything wasn't hardcore wasn't cool and somehow made my hardcore record collection look weak. So I sold all my Sub Pop records and similar stuff, including all of my Dinosaur Jr vinyl. What a prize tit.

About three years ago I started buying them all back again. And I've managed to pick up a few things that I never had before, including this copy of "You're Living All Over Me" on purple vinyl that arrived in today's mail:



My main Dinosaur Jr want now is the Sub Pop 7" on purple vinyl (NOT Pink). Anyone?

4 comments:

Handsome Pete said...

When I think about the things I sold getting into hardcore and getting out of hardcore. Prior to getting back into hardcore.

I kick myself.

Mike said...

I have a feeling that this is some post punk/indie stuff, and I have stayed far away from Dinosaur Jr.

Cool looking vinyl though.

Lins87 said...

Yeah I agree with Pete. I've sold/traded and re bought/traded so many records over the years its untrue.

mike said...

awesome band. i JUST traded that very 7" that you're after a couple weeks ago. it looked really cool too...purple with some white marble.