Thursday 3 July 2008

Dead By 23

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, when Dead By 23 Records emerged back in 2001/2 and started putting out ten versions of each record, i thought it was stupid. But later on I changed my mind and decided it was the total opposite - ultra cool.
A couple of weeks ago I chanced upon some DB23 auctions on eBay. Dave Walling was selling Robbie Redcheeks's entire DB23 collection. Apparently Robbie is buying a house and needs as much money as possible in a short space of time. Fair play.
There were over 100 records for sale. I ended up sitting in front of the computer for about 3 hours straight bidding on things at the last second. I won a few items. At the time, none of them seemed particularly expensive... but when the dust settled I added up the cost of everything I had won and it came to over $300, which suddenly seemed like a lot. Oops!
Anyway, I'm pretty happy with what I won. I got some nice items...

GO TIME 7" Test Press:


Also included with this test press were a couple of interesting extras. First, a letter from some dude in the band which accompanied the master recording:

Second, an invoice from the pressing plant:


Next item is a GO TIME 7" with a limited 'Nerd's Gold' sleeve:


According to Dictionary.com, a nerd is defined as "An intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit" . I like this. Sums me up perfectly.

There were 14 'Nerd's Gold' sleeves, and at least three colours of vinyl. The blue one I have is aparently one of two copies on that colour.


Next, the Very Mailorder version of the GO TIME 7", number 23 of 145. This one is a kind of clear greenish colour with white streaks, of which there are apparently 4-6 copies:


FINAL PLAN 7" Test Press, with acetate sleeve (front):

Back:

FINAL PLAN 7" on weird swirl colour vinyl with "Adult Crash" sleeve:


FROSTBITE 7" on baby blue vinyl:


DOWN TO NOTHING 7" TEST PRESS, (which is strangely not numbered, and apparently out of 10 copies):

The 'regular' DTN 7" has 3 songs on it. There was also a separate version that had 6 songs. Only 55 copies of the 6 song version exist (5 Tests, 16 Pink vinyl, 34 Clear vinyl). Here they are:

DOWN TO NOTHING 6 Song 7" Test Press #1/5:


DOWN TO NOTHING 6 Song 7" on pink:


DOWN TO NOTHING 6 Song 7" on Clear:


And finally, the NO RIGHTS 7" Test Press:


Personally, I think this is a really under-rated record. NO RIGHTS was a pre-BLACKLISTED band. Although the songs are short, this is good shit.

This haul means that I now have a total of a grand total of 45 DB23 pieces of vinyl. What an utter cretin.

No comments: