Monday 30 June 2008

Weezer - The Red Album

I got into Weezer later than most people. I never listened to them until 2001. I'd heard 'Buddy Holly' when it came out (and I thought it was crap), but like most mainstream bands, they just passed me by. I don't follow radio or mtv or read magazines or anything like that. So in 2001 I heard them pretty much for the first time, liked them & spent the whole summer spining the first three albums. The next year 'Maladroit' came out and, unlike most people, I thought it was good - well, except for the crap cover. What the hell was that about? Three years later and 'Make Believe' came out. By this point I was losing interest, and that album was pretty weak, with the exception of about two songs. Maybe one. And now, three years later, I've been listening to them for 7 years and another album has appeared...




On the plus side, the cover is back to the familiar theme of 'four dudes stood in a row', which I like. It doesn't feel like a Weezer album unless there's a picture of them standing there. Although, having said that, their legs aren't in shot and they're all stood in the wrong order. Fuck, if you're going to make every album cover look pretty much the same, you could at least do it properly. It's also a nice colour (gatefold) sleeve, and the vinyl matches the artwork. And it's quality US vinyl. All good.

On the downside, I played it and it bored me. Although, to be fair, it seems that they've 'themed' the song order. Side A is the rock songs, and Side B is the slow, whiney side. So when I say it bored me that's because I just came off listening to the slow side. Hopefully after a few more plays it'll turn out to be a good one. I'd hate to be disappointed by these fartknockers for the second time in a row.

No comments: